Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Only 2 Weeks Left!

We are only TWO weeks away from the beginning of this HUGE adventure and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a little nervous. And when I say, “a little nervous” what I mean is, “I was having physical chest pains yesterday because I’m SO anxious.” Gear, training, nutrition, logistics, fund raising – it’s a lot to think about. BUT things are finally starting to come together!

While the real journey begins May 20, I feel like I’ve been on a journey for the last several weeks preparing myself mentally and physically for this trip. As a bicycle neophyte, I’ve had to learn (quickly) about everything from gear to etiquette; and after several weeks of preparation I feel like I’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg. It’s intimidating and exhilarating. A few months ago, I couldn’t remember the last time I rode a bike for more than a few blocks and now I’m dodging rush hour traffic to make it to yoga on time. I can sustain a conversation about disk breaks and panniers, words that held no place in my vocabulary until recently. And as this trip nears, I can’t wait to put these newfound skills into practice!

On another very important note, I’m (we’re) so thankful to all the people who have offered up encouragement and support so far. It’s inspiring to see so many friends, family members and colleagues jump at the chance to help us to make this journey possible! THANK YOU!

-Stephanie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The journey begins! We're wishing you the best!

nicnew said...

Steph,

I was ao amazed to hear you were doing this ride , even more so realizing my dad died 8 years ago of Alzheimers. Let me know of anything I can do... it would be an honor!! Good Luck!! Hope to see you soon!!

Love, Nicole